Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Eartha Kitt + Freddie Hubbard

Last Xmas 2008 James Brown took flight, now Eartha n' Freddie...Uh.

What can I tell ya about EARTHA. She is one of 3 gentle juggernauts, haha, who changed my life as a performer. [Eartha Kitt, Grace Jones, Chaka Khan, yeh ya know it.] Saw her live my first night in NYC at the Blue Note. Captivatin', seXy, and witty as hell. Sighhhh. Got to hear n' hang with Blossom Dearie at Danny's Skylight Room the night after too, craZiness, em little powerful women. My New York city ranger/jazz groupie galpal Louisa and I had quite an epic week. Hangin' with Elvin Jones' bass player in Harlem, ping pongin' at the Fat Cat, wizzin' to the Village Vanguard to see Lewis Nash with Renee Rosnes! Savion Glover, Giant Step party at APT, um and the list goes on and on and on...



FREDDIE HUBBARD's "POVO" was my intro to the infinitely dope trumpeter. My Pops used to play Freddie all the time when us kids were but wee ones. Creed Taylor Release, Skydive 1972. Just the album cover alone DAMN!!! Featuring fellow geniuses Hubert Laws [flute], George Benson [guitar], Keith Jarrett [keys], Ron Carter [bass], Billy Cobham [drums], & Airto Moreira [percussion]. Wohhhh! Might remember that bass line off of Guru's Jazzmatazz with N'dea Davenport some 25 years later, ya know "I like the vibe I get from you babe, that I get from you..."